Monday, June 9, 2014

It has finally come: Psy's return features Snoop Dogg and a lot of alcohol.

AND I DON'T HATE IT.

Actually I like it.

I do think the song is a bit cluttered production wise, and Snoop is very active on the song, but I like it. Psy does the chorus, and follows Snoop with a Korean verse every time, but it feels like Snoop is running this song. I don't feel like I need to take this song too seriously and I appreciate that. Also it is more in the lane of what I like outside of K Pop...so...thanks...I guess.
 I do think the beginning scenes in the video were too much. I like the adventure they go on more. It's fun. Like they are two grown (old) ass men who go on a drinking spree because they can. It doesn't feel overly made, or pretentious like some K Pop videos come off to me.
I also appreciate that blackface moment was not added to the video.
Overall the video is just drinking until your organs say no...and then repeat.
We get two cameos from YG's G Dragon and CL (the leaders of their respective groups).
I don't know. I really don't hate it. Psy, YG, and his international label recognize that Psy can only...well to be taken seriously will be hard. There are a lot of implications in that (Western problems, and a whole lot of racism), but if you can't prosper off your own struggles, then who can (we know who, just let me get that out there). Psy has to be a joke character to even get recognition anywhere outside of South Korea.
I do applaud him in trying to continue to make a career in the states (Albeit unexpectedly). No doubt YG is waiting to use this for his other acts (more than likely 2ne1 and Lee Hi, who don't have the pressures of military obligations to fulfill...plus the west is more into female acts/solo acts).
In the meantime I'm going to enjoy this a few times before I get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment