Friday, May 30, 2014

Kris vs SM: The nonsense of it all.

I really didn't want to talk about this.
I made three post, left each in the drafts, then deleted them.
It just...this post is going to be a mess because I just don't know how to really express what is happening in my mind in regards to it.
Warning these are opinions, and scattered ones.

First off I am team shut the hell up.
In my Keyshia Cole voice pre gap removal: I just want it to be over.
At first I was interested simply because of fan reactions. Let me tell you...these Exo stans lost their damn mind like they lost their favorite cousin that was practically their sibling/twin. It was all doing way too much for me. At the time it was funny. I am not going to lie, it was funny. Y'all talking about legit tears and shit, and I am like...no chill. But that passed, and I got bored/annoyed/tired of it.
In the middle of that I tried looking at the info that was given as clearly as possible. Ultimately it didn't affect me, so me trying to really care was just not at 100%.
I give it a smooth 80%.
However looking at the case...it just seems a lot was put on Kris and Exo, and not enough on SM.
The case is not Kris vs Exo. It's Kris vs SM.
And I don't know how that seems to be escaping minds.
No wait, I do...but that is for later.
Anyway, for those who have been so fortunate to have completely missed this...Exo's Chinese unit leader, Kris has filed suit against his parent company SM.
I don't know the legit reasons, but the ones flying around: health related issues, Kris just over it, he wanted to be an actor, the stress was getting to him, idol life ain't shit.
All valid, and more than likely most of them are true. Which ones are not my place to understand and decipher. Not a possible Judge of this case.
Still that was not enough for fans of the group. The information of all of this was released barely a week before Exo's first solo concert.
This is where that fan reaction started getting REALLY tired.
Because of his actions, at this particular moment...Kris was dubbed a traitor.
"How could he do this right now, what about his group? They worked so hard! AND THE PRODUCTION CREW?"
I don't know why I didn't see that coming, but man...
I didn't even take the time to look at many fancams...but it didn't seem like much was put into it. I assumed the most that needed to be changed was finding something to replace the very likely, and undeserved solo for Kris (probably that stupid ass SM melody they did), do a little to the choreography to accomodate them, and redo the VCR's. That's it.
I just think too much stock is being put into Kris. Kris as a member of Exo, be it the whole or his unit. Kris as some evil force. Kris as some victim (although this is a thin line to tread).
Ultimately the information that was given puts Kris in both a good and bad light.
Good: Another one leaves. For people who think SM is an oppressive force, this further cements that notion. I mean...I believe it. I don't think all intentions are pure, but at the same time, SM has had several problems, two of them being only in the last five years. When there is smoke, there is sure to be a damn fire. SM is just good at making sure that smoke doesn't get out too often.
But anyway that is not my point.
My point is all of this is nonsense.
Kris wanting to leave SM is not nonsense.
The narrative that Kris vs Exo is.
SM literally has not had to do anything because the fans doing most of the work. Take the attention off of SM, and lets focus on how this affects everyone else.
I'm going to say something as a person who has not one stake in all of this, other than some peace and quiet of course...
Kris was not all that useful. As a leader that depends, but musically/performance wise...what did he have to offer?
Nothing.
Popularity...while he may be popular and all that, Luhan and Xuimin were more popular in their respective subunit, each having home field advantage (Xuimin's populairty can be up for debate, but I am pretty sure he is one of the bigger ones in that section). It wasn't like they were losing a Suzy, or a Hyorin pre-2013.
There were losing a Kris.
Too much stock is being put into him like that which makes this whole thing feel bigger than it should be.
On top of that, Exo performed as a group, and not in their units. So that's one, out of 12 members.
Exo feeling betrayed...don't doubt it. Feeling miffed he left right before a concert. Don't doubt it from some of them.
However this incredible focus on them in all of this just...what about the fact that this is about Kris not liking SM?
How is that not the real issue here?
If it turns out that the other members were partially responsible for Kris leaving, then yeah. Or that they tried to get him to stay (Which they apparently did not know)...then yeah.
But overall this case has become less about Kris leaving SM, and more so Kris deserting the OT12 shit.

I don't have much to say about it because ultimately, I am not invested outside of fascination.
The way this is playing out is expected, but still bothersome.
Basically saying: Too much focus on everything but SM and their overall relationship with Kris...and how that is slowly but surely being moved so far too the backbground in favor of Kris vs Exo...like gain some focus and look at the big picture. Regardless of who is right or wrong, SM don't want to be wrong, especially since they went through this twice already, so they are going to do the safest thing and let the innocent ones (Exo) fight this battle of words...
Tis all.

No comments:

Post a Comment